a day in theI’m excited to be a new member part of the contributing team for this great blog! I’m always interested in reading about how other mamas spend their days, so for my first post, I thought I’d give you a glimpse into the day of this working mama.

5:45 a.m. – My alarm goes off way earlier than I would like it to, and much to my husband’s chagrin, I hit the snooze more times than he would like. I stumble into the bathroom and start getting myself ready for the day. I usually end up multi-tasking and check email or Instagram while I get ready for the day.

7 a.m. – This is one of my favorite parts of the day. It’s time to wake up my two-year-old son. It’s amazing that I have to wake him up on weekday mornings, but some how he manages to wake up at 6:45 on Saturdays. It must be a sixth sense.

My husband and I spend the next 30 minutes in a blur getting breakfast ready, eating, gathering stuff for the day and trying to get out the door.

7:30 a.m. – After lots of sticky hugs and kisses from little man, I’m out the door and on my way to work. My husband handles daycare drop-off in the mornings, so I head straight to the office.

8 a.m. – Time for work. I work in marketing for a local community college, and I truly love my job. No two days are the same, but it’s usually a combination of meetings, discussions with my teammates, proofreading collateral materials we’re developing and trying to work on long-term goals.

9 a.m. –My FitBit buzzes to remind me to get up and move. I switched to a standing desk about 6 months ago and it helps me move more than if I were sitting all day. But, like most mamas, carving out time to work out is hard these days, so I use my FitBit to remind me to walk every hour during the day. Just taking 2 laps around my office each hour adds about 1,000 steps to my daily total and can easily be accomplished in just a few minutes.

Noon – Lunch! My days are crazy, so I generally eat lunch in the office and use the time to catch up on emails while I eat at my desk. Occasionally, I’ll get out of the office for lunch and catch up with a friend or hit up Target and spend way more than I intended to. I’m not sure how I can go in there for diapers and toothpaste and end up with $100 of stuff in my cart.

1 – 5 p.m. – The afternoon always goes by in a blur. I stay constantly busy at work, so the days always fly by.

5:10 p.m. – This is another favorite part of the day. Little man always runs to me with such joy when I pick him up at daycare. We have a quick conversation with his teacher about his day or what he’s learning and then head home.

5:30 p.m. – Home at last! It’s time to get dinner on the table and spend time with my son. This is the hardest part of my day and some days it seems to drag on. I know this season of our life is short, so I try to keep it all in perspective, but trying to get dinner on the table with a 2-year-old underfoot is no easy task! I’ve usually prepped most of the meal the night before, so if I can get him to watch one or two Thomas videos or play with his toys, I can usually get our meal to a point where it can bake or brown with little supervision so I can spend time with him.

6:30 p.m. – Daddy is home, yay! Most of the time, we get to eat dinner as a family and then my husband spends some quality time with our son while I clean up the kitchen and prep for tomorrow night’s dinner.

7 p.m. – Bedtime routine starts. We’ve done a bedtime routine every night since he was only a few days old. We’re fairly typical, I think – brush teeth, bath, pajamas, stories, prayers or songs and then lights out.

7:30 p.m. – Little man is finally in bed and my husband and I can finish cleaning up the kitchen, packing lunches or prepping dinner for the next day. It makes for a long day, but prepping our meals the night before makes all the difference in being able to eat dinner at a reasonable time!

8:15 p.m. – Couch time. I’m usually exhausted by this point in the evening. If I have some brain cells left, my husband and I will catch up on the day, or talk about whatever is on our minds. Depending on what’s going on at the office, I’ll usually check email and wrap up some small projects that I wasn’t able to get to during the day. If I’m totally brain dead though, I use this time catch up on my favorite blogs or read my growing stack of magazines.

9:30 p.m. – I head upstairs to get myself ready for bed. I’m a TV junkie, so I’ll usually watch a show I’ve DVR’d or a series on Netflix (the latest season of House of Cards is my latest obsession).

10:30 p.m. – Lights out so I can start all over again the next day!

The week can feel like such a grind sometimes and it feels like there’s never enough time in the day to get everything done, but I always try to remember this season of our lives is so short and I know I’ll soon be missing the long busy days of having a rambunctious 2-year-old.